Sunday, August 7, 2011

Fireworks and Romance

I'm really not quite sure why it has taken me a month to write this blog. I could say that I have a lot of legitimate excuses, but deep down I know that if I really wanted to I could have forced myself to sit down and write it one night. I think the real reason it has taken me so long to write it is because the weekend of the fourth meant so much to me - I have so many feelings surrounding it, that it feels daunting to try to capture the pure magic and bliss that I felt during every moment.

Well.... here goes...

Chris and I took off on Saturday the 2nd of July for a trip out to the peninsula. We hopped on the ferry at Edmunds and headed for Port Townsend. This meant I got to check something off my list!

17. Weekend Road Trip within WA State


We drove out to Port Townsend with gorgeous weather, and no particular plans in mind. We had all of our camping gear, and no reservations anywhere, so we knew it was a possibility we might end up squatting.

Once we arrived in PT, Chris took a random turn to take a look at some beautiful houses, and - lo and behold - we ran into the cutest Victorian B&B I have ever seen. Oddly enough, they had 8 vacancies. We jumped on the opportunity, and were so glad that we did because two hours later the place was completely booked. This fortuitous turn of events allows me to check something else off my list!

140. Stay the night at a bed and breakfast


Our room was the loveliest one in the house - with a view of the bay! 

The entry way to the house 

It was difficult to capture the beautiful soft glow that lit our bedroom. 

Our gracious hosts 

Our view out our crescent bedroom window 

We wandered in PT on Saturday evening and we happened to stumble upon their monthly art walk, so we got to nibble and sip our way through the many galleries along their main street. There are a lot of really talented artists in PT! After wandering, we had a delicious dinner near the Marina. I  developed a stomach ache by the time our entrees rolled around, so Chris gallantly stepped up to the plate and ate both his duck entree and my halibut. Needless to say we were both a bit of a sorry sight by the time we got back to the Inn and collapsed on our deliciously comfortable bed.

The next morning was a bit gray - this lighthouse stood across from our B&B 

 The F.W. Hastings House

Oh boy did we take advantage of this!  

Highly recommended!

On Sunday morning we were fed some well-prepared Eggs Benedict and a delicious array of fruit, fresh juice, toast, and my favorite Chobani Greek Yogurt. We socialized with the other guests, though we could tell right away that none of them were our couple-soulmates. Saturday evening did not fully satisfy our window shopping desires, so we headed back down to the main street for a couple more hours to appreciate PT's fine wares. 

I had to have a picture under the Siren sign!

Chris bought me a few lovely pairs of earrings - he is so sweet and generous! He likes to buy me jewelry and I am developing quite the collection. It makes me feel so special the way he quietly tells me I should pick something out that I like. Such a doting manfriend.

When we had had our fill of the shops and galleries, we headed out to Fort Worden State Park to visit the lighthouse. The clouds had burned off at this point and the weather was just luscious.

Delicious homemade hummus and cucumbers for a snack 

The lighthouse is lovely, though we found it a bit underwhelming 

More exciting was the gorgeous view  

I took about 50 pictures of Chris monkeying around - essential 

Happy and Relaxed  

Hey Good Lookin'

With the weather cleared up we ran back to the B&B to snag a picture of this gorgeous clock tower. We had taken a few with the clouds, but they did not compare. We were off for the tip of the peninsula - our first aim Pillar Point to see if they had room for us to camp there. 

Beautiful Building!

When we arrived at Pillar Point we were disappointed to find out that the campground there was closed. The scenery was incredible, but the wind was biting and chilly. 

Incredible greens and blues 

Alone with the ocean 

Looking back toward the east 

Such incredible light - makes me want to get better at capturing it

After our stop at Pillar Point, we continued west toward Neah Bay to find a place to camp. The Makah Indian Reservation was buzzing with activity - the buying and selling of the BIG fireworks. We found a campsite on Makah Bay which was full, but decided to just haul our things out to the beach. 

My triumphant man having succeeded in finding us another beautiful place to stay 

 Me happy :) 

 He wanted to get me in the light of the setting sun

Sunset on Makah Bay 

Our campfire - roasting of s'mores did occur. 

We had the beach almost entirely to ourselves. The privacy was perfect. We set up camp and built our fire and sat admiring everything around us. It was slightly chilly, so we put on our layers and happily sat warming ourselves. As soon as the sun went down the campers came out to the beach from behind the trees and started lighting off all of their enormous fireworks. We were sitting between two dueling shows and they seemed to go on forever. 

I looked at Chris and told him that this was officially the most romantic night of my life. Everything felt so perfect - being close to him, feeling like the fireworks were going off just for the two of us. We munched on s'mores and cuddled next to our fire. 

At one point when we were in mid-conversation about something completely unrelated Chris barked at me, "Alright already, I love you!" It seemed as though he had been struggling against the feeling and all at once had given up. I couldn't do anything but laugh at him. Of course, I already knew he did, and I knew I loved him, but it was so funny to watch him explode. I had never been told that for the first time in quite such an aggressive manner... silly man. 

The next morning I took a walk and left this for him to find.  

 I wandered and tried to capture all of the beautiful things I was seeing

The real beauty is in the details 

Campers! 

 I love sand dollars!!

 Another lone man with the sea

 There were a zillion sand dollars

 I'm not sure what it is, but it looks like a heart

 Crab skeleton

Fresh faced and unshowered at the beach :) 

After packing up our campsite and loading up the car on Monday morning, we headed out to Cape Flattery for a little hike. Well, we thought it was going to be a hike until we saw incredible old and obese people on the trail and we revised our thinking a bit. Now we knew we were in for a stroll. 

 The tippy tip of the Continental US!

All in the details 

 These webs extended all the way up this tree creating what seems like a multi-story building

 Dead tree with an interesting shape that reaches up high toward the heavens

Seaweed! 

Gorgeous Cape Flattery 

We bird watched here - a family of peregrin falcons 

 
Tons of great species of bird to watch

The weather could not have been more perfect 

Mermaid Lagoon 

And a mermaid! Siren, to be exact... 

My wonderful manfriend :)  

A cave - I want to go caving so bad! 

Out at the tip of the point - happy couple! 

Love these colors 

More loveliness 

Giant Cedar 

 Chris loves it when I wear his clothes - His shirt was the perfect extra layer

After our awe-inspiring hike, we took off for the long journey home down and around the peninsula. I insisted that we stop in Forks - it had to be done. I geeked out for about an hour. 

"Shirts are optional" 

The fanfare was so humorous 

 Oh we were dazzled!

Off in a lonely corner... all that is left of Forks' great legacy as the logging capital of the world.  

Twilight seems to be like a virus that has taken over the town 

Inside the official Twilight store 

 I am totally team Jacob.

But Edward is still good too :) 

After an hour spent in the frighteningly kitschy town of Forks, Chris was losing his patience with my giddy school girl obsessive behavior. We ate a really crappy burger (Seriously, no one has thought to bring decent food to the good people of Forks! Could be a gold mine...) and headed on our way. 

We arrived home at 7 and I was super excited because I had convinced Chris to watch Finding Nemo with me. After watching the pelicans and seagulls out at Cape Flattery I desperately needed him to understand why I kept saying "Mine? Mine? Mine?"

His neighbors put on yet another fantastic fireworks show, but I doubt anything will ever top our incredible experience the night before on the beach. We ended the weekend feeling so happy and content with each other, so blissful. 

Who knows why it took me a month to write this?!

No comments:

Post a Comment