Friday, August 26, 2011

Stargazing and Caving in Oregon!

Its hard to believe, but I get to check three things off of my list for this post!  
5. Star Gaze
111. Visit and hike through local caves
112. Visit local hot springs

Chris and I took another mini-vacation, this time we went down to Oregon.We spent the first three days of our trip visiting my family in Portland. Chris met my Godmother, Katie, and my Gran for the the first time. It went really well - it is clear that he knows how to make a good impression.

From Portland, we drove down to a place called Breitenbush near Detroit, Oregon. I wish I had taken tons of pictures there because it was so beautiful, but it felt like running around with my camera would have been highly inappropriate. We stayed in a tiny little cabin for the night and wandered the property. They have beautiful natural hot springs, a natural steam room fed by a geothermal vent, medicine pools of different temperatures, and a gorgeous lodge that serves three square organic and vegetarian meals a day.

It was such a serene and natural experience. At one point Chris and I walked within 10 feet of a doe and her baby. We bathed naked in the hotsprings and discovered that many couples had brought their children with them. It made for an interesting discussion - I think there is something to be said for exposing young children to real, natural adult nudity (normal, average, every day bodies) as it might keep them from believing that *only* what we see in the media is beautiful. At the same time, however, I also think it is important to be aware of other "kidless" adult's experiences in such a relaxing atmosphere.

The experience at Breitenbush was pretty unbelievable. I can't wait to go back and experience it during the colder months.

From Breitenbush we headed down to Bend to camp for the evening. We had plans to visit the lava caves the next morning. Chris and I set up camp and built our fire, then we lay back with our feet to the fire and took turns reading to each other while the other took in the stars. We eventually grew quiet and just soaked up the starlight. I love these moments with him. It makes me so happy to know that we both love to take time to appreciate the simple things in life.

The next morning - I look like a simpsons character in our tent!

He took this and then said he couldn't imagine a better picture

After packing up our camp we made it a point to stop and check out "Big Tree" which we had seen a sign for on our way in. It sure was big!

500 year old Ponderosa Pine

 I love the gnarled branches - reminds me of an old man's fingers

Putting it into perspective - note the sign and the "normal" tree in the background

Big Tree sat right next to a beautiful slow moving river. The morning was heavily scented by the forest and so tranquil.

A root system that looks like a sea monster

Sometimes I have to force him to show me a "real" smile

Though we had been planning to head to the lava caves right away, instead we headed up to Paulina Peak to check out the views from 7800 feet of Newberry Crater. We were so glad we headed that direction!

The Three Sisters

Paulina Lake from Paulina Peak

Mountains in the distance

Chris making me nervous by getting too close to the edge

A giant basalt flow from Newberry Volcano

I love him :) 

East Lake in the distance

We could not have had more beautiful weather

The man and his binoculars

After drinking in the delicious view, we headed for the largest of the lava tubes - a hike that would take us 2.2 miles round trip!

Before entering the cave - got my warm gear on!

The mouth of the lava tube

This hike was so incredible. After about 100 feet in we were swallowed by darkness. There was a pathway with railings for the first 500 feet, and we quickly reached the rough earth. Chris used his headlamp and I had a flashlight. It was forty degrees in the pitch black darkness! The tube was like a cathedral, with high rounded ceilings and a sense of sanctity unmatched by anything man-made. 

The deeper into the cave we walked, the fewer people we ran into. Chris commented that the walls and ceiling looked like an intestinal tract - quite appropriately the cave seemed to swallow all light and sound. As we neared the end of the cave we saw next to no one. We stopped often, turned off our lights and sat in complete and utter darkness, our senses heightened by our lack of sight. We listened to the water dripping from the ceiling and walls, working to erode the rocks to add to the sand beneath our feet. 

My flashlight started to dim and die when we were on our way out. I got a little nervous and clung to Chris after I shut it off and could only rely on his headlamp. I used his hat to cover my freezing cold ears and we trudged more quickly toward the daylight. I was relieved when we finally made it back to the 90 degree heat. What a difference!

The mouth of the cave on our way out!

I make an excellent cave-person!

Chris post-cave-conquering

Warmer and Happier!

Hiking that cave was definitely one of the coolest things I've ever done. I am so glad we did it! We had meant to visit more of the caves, but by the time we ate some lunch in Bend we were homeward bound. We weren't too disappointed though, because we definitely made it to the coolest one. 

On our way back toward Portland we passed by Mt. Hood. It was so gorgeous up close I had to make Chris pull over and let me take a picture!

Gorgeous Mt. Hood!

It was a fantastic long weekend, and one thing is for sure - I love mini-vacations with my man! We travel so well together - setting a few goals and making loose plans, then letting the wind take us where she will... Pure Satisfaction!

No comments:

Post a Comment